Saturday 26 April 2014

Stumbling upon Tom's random love story...

It's on this boring April afternoon after an equally boring morning that I finally decide to start my own blog, and guess what: I'm out of ideas for a good first post! Well, I'll have to make do with a retrospective then ...

These string of incidents date back to the later half of 2012. The grumpy old poet inside my head was toying with the topic of falling in love with a random girl. The setting was pretty simple: lonely guy in a restaurant, a girl sitting by herself in a corner (probably immersed in some book). The guys observes the girl for some time. Notices every detail. He thinks that he might fall in love her. He just might, but only for the girls companion to come and join her. Then, he notices her ring. End of story.

Now I agree that this is nothing unique to be writing about. James Blunt shifted the setting to a subway when he created 'You're Beautiful'. So, not much of a new thing, but surely seemed interesting to me. However, the major hurdle here was the wordplay. I, somehow, could not translate the thought process to a lyric!

Eventually, as I usually do in such cases, I shelved the idea and moved on. Our Mask Group had shaped up pretty well by then and that kept me occupied for most of my free time. It was around this time that I first heard about a bedroom project from Chennai - Adam & The Fish Eyed Poets (click link for the band page). Saw some rave reviews and immediately downloaded their first two albums - Snakeism and Dead Loops (available on the link above). I was immediately besotted by the strength and the dark, multi-layered implications of the wordplay. Some of the songs strongly resonated with my state of mind then. A couple of my works during that period were a direct influence (will keep that to a later post).

Again, the Adam & The FIP experience led me to exploring my music frontiers. Exposure to the music of Tom Waits was a direct result of this little excursion. One of the results of a casual Youtube search catapulted me into a state of absolute utopia! The reason, ladies and gentlemen, for your listening pleasure:


This song completely describes all that I ever wanted to write about that random girl! Absolutely perfect! This song, since then, has been one of my favorite love songs (yes, I do tread down that path sometimes).

I love exploring new music. I love exploring new places just as much. This blog will mostly be about these two things. Maybe, a bit of stream-of-consciousness stuff thrown in to spice it up! Signing off now. Hope you had a good time reading this.

- Kapil Pilankar

6 comments:

  1. Good start! Also, wanted to share two songs that I fondly reminisced upon reading your entry:

    One that is optimistic and full of joy:
    Tula Pahile Me Nadichya Kinare by Suresh Wadkar

    And this other one that brushes with the dark side of love:
    Song for Zula by Phosphorescent

    Keep rocking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you please provide the contact details of Hilltop Chateau, Shillong? Seems like a superb place to visit.

    Abhik Majumdar,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abhik,

      Check this link: http://megtourism.gov.in/guesthouses/HillTopChateau.pdf

      Mr. Dean and Ms. Aishwarya are quite good hosts.

      Delete
  3. U write so well Kapil.....thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete

Ads Inside Post